Friday, July 13, 2007

late night

It's Friday night, 8:40p - longer than we've ever stayed at the lab. I'm trying to get my code fixed since Anushka will be out of town next week, and I'd like to get further instructions before she leaves. Waiting around for my program to run, hoping each time that it'll be the last, which is why I'm sitting here working on my bee-log instead of trying to fix it while it's running.

Earlier today, we attended a seminar on something above and beyond my knowledge. It was given by one of David's colleagues from a Chinese university in Nanjing on something related to creating multi-user programs, I think? Anyway, there was an office party afterwards, and we finally got to actually talk to the other people in the DSSE area and get to know people better. Everyone is extremely nice. There were people from all over the world that have either immigrated or are working on their PhD's. I'm kind of excited because one of the faculty I met said that I would be able to sit in on one of her lectures! I think she teaches software of some sort, and I probably won't understand much of it, but it'll be interesting to sit in on an Australian lecture at the graduate level.

Anyway, afterwards, Slavisa and Voitech (I'm not sure if that's how to spell his name) invited us to play table tennis with them. They were seriously pro status! So we played some doubles and some rally pingpong (where you run around after you hit) and watched the "pro's" play singles. It was pretty fun, but now we're back at work. [Voitech giving a tutorial]
[Heather and I are the bestest team ever] [in action]
getting [owned/ing Michelle and Saleh]

Last night we went to the Pixar museum in Federation Square. It's amazing just how much work and time and effort are put into each film. We saw many of the characters in their earlier forms, and their evolution to their current "known" state. Even their "roughs" are amaaaaazing! I wish I had such talent. There were sketches, art of all media, movies, and sculptures of all sorts. My favorite exhibit was this Toy Story animation with a strobe light. It was basically like a flip book but with sculptures and so they turned it around and around really fast, and then put on the strobe light. My description definitely does not do justice to how amazing this exhibit was, and I wish I could've taken pictures or something. But we were literally all in awe of it. Anyway, we were able to take pictures with Mike and Sully and the girl car from Cars.
Ice cream in the winter, anyone? Apparently it's on the "list of things to do before you die" and since we got gelato after the museum, guess we fulfilled that item on the to-do list. The gelato was amazingly good, and well worth the cold. The flavors were more distinct than anything I've gotten anywhere else. The mint chocolate chip literally tasted like a sprig of mint leaf, and pistachio was almost as good as peeling a pistachio and eating it. (: [Michelle's so excited!][yummmy]
And I guess now it's past 10:00p, and we're all still going at it, although we're gunna call it a day soon, regardless of results. My program is still not running to my liking, but Philip Island tomorrow and no plans for coming in to work this weekend.

No comments: